Tuesday, April 1, 2014

April 1 2014 ’the mint crew helps out'

Comp redeemed herself today and played the part of the good samaritan by coming to my rescue and paying my bus fare. At the stop, we met AC and Ms Shrewsbury who were already there. As the bus came around the corner and I checked for the fare, I realized that I must have forgotten it on the dresser. The good Samaritan came to my rescue and offered to pay the fare. Not having exact change for two, she however defaulted to instinctive behavior and stuck out her hands to take the fares from AC and Ms Shrewsbury, with the comment, " even though he called me a busfare bully, I still had to come to his rescue today". AC and MS handed over the fares and entered the bus. At the box, MS whispered something to the driver and passed on, so did AC and then Comp paid the fare for all. I overheard some talk of mummy, so as I got to the box I said "She paid for me too!", and then to Comp, "Thank you mummy!".

We later understood, that MS had told the driver that 'Mummy was paying the fares for all' and when Comp put in the money, he confessed to her what was said,and  that was when I heard the word mummy whispered. The driver and all smiled at the incident and I collected the four tickets.  

Row2 was now Row2.1 as the Intruder was indeed in the second row. AC and MS when down to the back as customary  so we took  the first row on the left, in front of R2L. After the regular greetings, we  started our usual conversations. Comp met a domino playing friend and was engaged in a discussion about the tournament.  At the Heddings corner, slim Jeans (SJ) got on board.  The storekeeper remembered the mint bag early this time and went into the bag for the bounty. Since we were out of mints however, the mini chocolates  had to be distributed today. Comp passed one to R2L with a comment about being fattening and then one to SJ. Before she could get back into the bag to get another SJ had hers opened and almost consumed. I got one after, Comp taking her cool time to hand over mine.  I believe that the bag may probably be empty by now, but seeing how it is under such tight security, one can never be sure.

At St. Martins Church, the dust on the road under repair was unusually high and the windows had to be closed.  At Gemwick, another crowd boarded the bus including a young man with a large haversack on his back who stood beside me. The bag was really large and as he was standing backing me the bag was inches away from my head. R2L remarked that he should take the bag off his back, as so I beckoned to him and offered to hold it. He was extremely grateful to be relieved of the burden.

On the Pilgrim Road stretch  the St. Lawrence sisters were out to school again. The three sisters including little Jamirah got on board and Comp was most excited to see her. She was hoping feverishly that the little girl would come and sit with her, but she got one of the side seats and so escaped another lesson in colours and shapes.  Comp was however miserable for the remainder of the trip and was twisting and turning to peek through the crowd to capture the attention of the little girl on the other side of the aisle and get a wave. It was a pity to witness her torment.

A little further at the Providence stop and elderly man got on board and SJ stood to give him her seat. Comp took SJ's bags, so we were now holding other people's bags. At Oistins a blind man and an elderly man  with a cane got on. The blind man got a seat after the bus driver insisted that a school boy got up and I stood to offer the elderly man mine.  All the bags at this time were passed to Comp who was left sitting, but there were too many bags to hold, so she shifted her bags back to R2L,  while she kept the large haversack, SJ's and my bags. I must admit, I felt for her, she had 4 massive bags and looked extremely comical as she could barely see over the top of the pile. SJ and me started to make fun saying that all she needed now was a red cap, with SJ adding "and a trolley". Given her gallant deeds, we both decided that she she should be given a tip for her deeds, But since I had forgotten my money at home and she was holding everybody's bags, an IOU would have had to suffice.

An interesting occurrence in Oistins reminded me of how, bonding and friendships are being formed on the bus. At the terminal, Comp saw BDD out the window and called to her. R2L then seeing her, said "she was out early today" and tried to call out to her. Comp gave her BDD's name and R2L stuck her head out the window and called until she got BDD's attention.  I was really impressed that she went out of her way to greet an acquaintance met on the bus and in our mint ritual.

This was a day however of connections. Whilst talking to SJ as we were standing and laughing at the 'red cap', I discovered that SJ was a student of my wife at the institute she goes to and was in my wife's class.  Later, after Comp left, she saw two of the St. Lawrence students we met on the bus, walking out of her workplace and discovered that their mother works in her building.  These obscure connections show us that we never know, who we will meet and how lives cross and are interconnected. It is therefore incumbent on us to be honest and upright in our actions and words to all.

The young man soon took his bag and Comp was able to see ahead again, then she reached her stop and SJ took her seat and I found a seat also, leaving everyone with their own load. I gave Comp the laurel however for being exceptionally helpful today. She went beyond the call of duty and we were all proud of her. 

Indeed the entire mint crew did their part, R2L, SJ, Comp and I. The influence of the black plastic bag remains strong and the effect of the super mints.


Tenga un buen dia, Dios te bendiga!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your comments! We'll love to hear from you!