Monday, March 31, 2014

March 31 2014 'Comp tries for record'

Today is the last day of March and for almost 3 months we have been recording the activities of the daily commute to Bridgetown on the SLC. Like most days in recent times, it was a slow day as is the case with Mondays. At the stop were a few known faces but none of the better known regulars like AC, Ms. Shewsbury, baby Jamilla etc..

There is normally a distinct pattern to the order of arrival of the buses on mornings. First would come the Bridgetown coming from Bayfield, then the Silver Sands, sometimes the Bridgetown coming from Well House and then the Bridgetown from Sam Lords Castle (SLC). Today only the Bayfield came followed by the SLC, our regular ride.

On the bus, there was a new driver, and among the passengers were Row2 in her usual spot and R2L who was out today. Also  observed was the Intruder and an old church friend who I see on the rare occasion. We sat in row 1 ahead of Row2. I waved at R2L who was looking a little preoccupied today and then, rousing Row2 from her kindle, said good morning and asked how was the weekend. Knowing I would get a one word reply, I also asked if she had followed  the results of the interschool sports and if she knew who had won. Of  course she had no idea, so I proceeded to tell of Springer's upset once more taking victory for girls and QC's victory in the boys division. Comp overhearing, naturally had to vet my facts for accuracy, asked who I said had won and corrected my misstatement about QC winning, it was in fact, St. Michael's. I had to communicate my correction to R2L, under  Comp's watchful gaze.

On the way some of the other regulars took their places, the Kolij twins, the security guard, julianna lookalike and Perfume. BDD was not out today as I had hoped, since I wanted to get her impression and opinion on the just ended sports meet. 

Near the Trimart supermarket corner in St. Martins, an elderly lady boarded clearly unable to stand for the duration of the long journey, so I offered her my seat. Comp had her two bags holding and upon standing she offered to hold mine. (I was always curious to find out why and what could be the contents of these two massive bags. Immediately visions comes to mind of countless plastic bags, tied in knots with balls of newspaper inside and vials of liquids to smell. Whatever the contents, the bags are stuffed to their extremity and unusually heavy). She was now under the burden of the three bags and then seeing Perfume standing with her big orange cloth bag, offered to hold that as well. So she now had 4 bags. Feeling smug about her deeds, she looks at me and asked, "looks familiar?" She was trying to beat my record of carrying the most bags. Even though it was a gallant attempt, it still fell short of the grade and she would have to try another day.

Eventually  Perfume got a seat and retook her bag from Comp.  It was interesting to notice that she was still reading 'Unspeakable' but was now far advanced in the text and in the last few chapters. Comp saw her reading the book and started this snickering laugh for what reason I do not know.  After Row2 got out, I got a seat in her place and was seated next to the Kolij twin who was reviewing her homework. I was impressed how, these sisters never waste a spare moment without keeping abreast with their schoolwork, the same for sleepy head. 

Comp soon reached her stop and exited, the others went straight to Bridgetown were we all disembarked, the old lady once again giving me thanks for giving her my seat. Of course, she was most welcomed.


Have a blessed day!! Bendiciones!!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your comments! We'll love to hear from you!