Monday, March 24, 2014

March 24 2014 ‘the bellman'

The maternal instinct was stirred in Comp again today as little Jamilla and her mother came to the stop. Comp on seeing the pair arrive, shouts out the baby's name and as though familiar with the voice, she looks around and gives her little smile. At the stop, there also was Ms Shrewsbury and AC. The discussion was about there not being a 6.00 am bus and the possibility of having to take a minibus. A yellow minibus came, and I decided that I would not take it as I'll rather wait for the 6.30 SLC, Comp decided she would wait also. The bus came seconds later, and we happily took that instead.

While boarding the bus, AC points her fare at Comp asking her if she wants it, but Comp responds not today. I noticed that the fare included several small coins, five and one cents and  therefore concluded that the reason the fare was refused was because of the many coins. I was hoping that maybe Comp had been rehabilitated from her 'bus-fare bullying' and the refusal was a sign of this. I will have to monitor to see how long her changed behaviour lasts.

On the bus, the driver was a known Bush Hall resident, so I gave him a special greeting and then looking down the aisle, we saw comrade R2, in her usual seat, but no R2L or Penny. We took our regular seats and AC took the seat next to R2. The crew now had possession of our claimed territory, the first 2 rows, 'the promised land'. On sitting I looked back and said to AC, "now you know how to keep your bus fare", referring to having small coins to dissuade the bully's interest.

Outside the Crane Hotel, we saw a couple that we had not seen so far for the year. This rasta couple had been dubbed the lovebirds for the affection they would show to  each other at the bus stop. It was clear that the rastaman was clearly smitten with the long locked beauty who was his girlfriend. If he was not taking the bus, he would walk her to the stop and give an earsplitting smile as she boarded and left. If he was taking the bus with her, he would show his pride when sitting by her side or across the aisle watching her. It was good to see them after these many months and we believe if was a result of the missing 6 am bus, that there were seen today.





At the corner,  we saw no aquamarine, so we knew what that meant and we also saw none of the regular school friends. Today was however the day  that my training around hotels  came into use, as I took up duties as a bellman.

The first occasion was when a mother with her daughter entered the bus. The mother was holding two bags and a Business portfolio, as she was standing by the reserved seats with the poles, she was having difficulties holding the pole so I offered to take the portfolio. she handed it over and was able to get a better grip afterwards. 

 Later, Perfume got on with her customary oversized orange bag, I was willing to take that also, but she passed by and went further into the bus. Then a nurse came in wearing her colourful scrubs also with two bags. She was standing next to me and the large patent leather bag was so big, she was unsure where to put it. I beckoned to her to pass it and she placed it on my lap, on top of my laptop case. Then at Oistins Comp made me proud. A man with a withered hand and walking with a cane, got on board. He had gotten past the reserved seats without an offer of assistance, Comp called to him and offered him her seat. The man was visibly grateful for the gesture as he sat beside me. As a consequence however, Comp place her bags on the pile I was already holding, to complete the mountain of luggage. I was now sitting with five bags on me and barely able to see over the top at the way ahead. I tried to protest the addition of her bags, but it appears that everybody ignores my protest anyway, so my efforts were wasted. I was however happy that she stood for the gentleman and would like to think that something was finally rubbing off.

As the bus cleared, the mountain diminished, firstly, Comp's two bags, then the portfolio , then the nurse's oversized bag, I could now see ahead again.

It was a pleasure to be able to aid a traveller along the way. I surely know how it feels to struggle with a heavy or oversized bag on a crowded bus and I'm sure someday the favour would be returned.


Galatians 6:9 (RV09)
No nos cansemos, pues, de hacer bien; que á su tiempo segaremos, si no hubiéremos desmayado.

Galatians 6:9 (KJV)
And let us not be weary in well doing:for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not.

Dios te bendiga!


  






No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your comments! We'll love to hear from you!